I’m sure every avid Bourbon hunter/collector/drinker gets the same questions I do: “hey man, can you get me the hookup on some Pappy?” Of course I can, $450 for a Pappy 10yr… “whattttt?”…. I don’t get it at MSRP, I don’t own a store, but I know people who will sell it for secondary (which seems to be 400-500 depending on where you are, if you can get it for less, great, but don’t pay more)… But then people think they can get it for MSRP, good luck with that unless you have a serious hookup, that I certainly don’t have either… After calling a bunch of stores and asking other people, the realization settles in, they ask, well, what can I get for under $100 that is really good too? Every year my list changes, but this year I am recommending these bottles to get, either as value drinks for yourself, or to recommend to your friends for drinkers… I know there will be a lot of disagreement, and I would love to hear your recommendations:
- Mellow Corn (~$12)… great for cocktails
- Buffalo Trace (~$25)… hard to beat for the price
- Elijah Craig Small Batch Single Barrels (~$35)… great single barrel value
- Russel’s Reserve 10yr Single Barrels (~$45)… all around solid choice
- Barrell Craft Spirits Dovetail (~$75)… great sipper, cask strength, finished whiskey
Honorable Mention: ECBP, OWA 107, ETL, Blantons…. but they have been harder to find these days and often trade above $100 in secondary…
What do you think I should have on this list? Comments welcome!